Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Legendary Spaghetti

I use Lawry’s mix, but over the years have doctored it to
be unbelievably good. One myth: the longer the sauce sits,
the better. False! The sauce should be made no longer than
one hour ahead of time. When I make this dish I make a lot of extra sauce to freeze for a rainy day. I have played with this recipe for 20 years and I believe I have it just the way I love it best.  Don't forget to sprinkle some fresh grated parmesan cheese on top --

Ingredients:
Lawry’s spaghetti sauce mix
1 lb. ground beef
1 carton sliced mushrooms
1 onion, minced
3 T garlic, minced
1 T sugar
1 (6 oz). can tomato paste
2 (12 oz.) cans tomato sauce
2 cups water
½ stick of butter
2T cooking oil
1 pkg. linguine
pinch of sugar

Recipe:
Boil the water for the linguini, follow pkg. directions, but subtract 2 min.
From the recommended cooking time. Add 2 T oil and 1T salt to the water
And once cooked, drain the water.
Brown the ground meat, drain the fat and set aside.
In a large frying pan, or large sauce pan combine the following:
Tomato paste, tomato sauce, lawry’s mix, cooking oil, water.
Bring to a boil, but don’t let it overflow or get so hot that it pops.
At that high temperature, add the meat, mushrooms, onion, garlic
And sugar. (sugar cuts the acidity of the tomatoes)
Reduce heat to the lowest temperature to simmer slowly.
Simmer for 45 min. to one hour.
Follow the instructions for the pasta from the package. I recommend linguine if serving this to adults, or spaghetti if serving to children.

No comments:

Post a Comment